Conditions of hire
Read our conditions for hiring a boat.
1. The contract does not take effect until we have received and accepted a completed booking form and deposit of £50 from the hirer whose minimum age must be 18 years. Balance of hire charges payable on day of hire.
2. We shall not be responsible for the consequences of DELAYS or RESTRICTIONS to cruising arising from obstructions, damage or repairs to the navigation and associated structures, flooding, shortage of water, industrial action, shortage or rationing of fuel or other cause beyond our control, and we reserve the right to restrict movement of boats in the event of hazardous conditions.
3. The boat shall be RETURNED at the agreed time in a clean and tidy condition. A charge of £30 per hour or part thereof will be charged for late return. All or part of the security deposit may be fortified if the boat is returned in an unreasonably dirty condition.
4. UNSUITABLE HIRERS. We reserve the right to decline a booking or refuse to hand over a boat to any person who in our opinion is not suitable to take charge. In such cases any monies received will be refunded in full and the contract will be discharged without further liability to either party. We reserve the right to repossess the boat at any time where an accident or damage has occurred or in our opinion is likely to occur because of unsuitability of the hirer or where a boat is found to have more passengers aboard than specified on the booking form, or where the hirer is causing a nuisance to the public. In such cases we shall not be liable to make a refund of any part of the hire charges or security deposit paid.
5. INJURY OR DAMAGE. We are not liable for death, personal injury, or loss or damage to your property (including any motor cars left at the yard) or that of any passenger unless it is caused by our negligence or wilful default.
6. BREAKDOWN. The boats are checked before each hiring. Should your craft suffer mechanical breakdown please notify us as quickly as possible, so that repairs can be carried out with a minimum of delay. We shall not be liable for any consequential loss or damage that you may suffer as a result of such breakdown. Any refunds at Barrow Boating's discretion.
7. ACCIDENTS. You have charge of the boat and are responsible for its safe navigation. No minor may control the boat. In the event of any accident involving the boat or any other craft or property it is your responsibility to establish the name of any boat involved together with the names and addresses of the owner and/or hirer, and report these facts to us as soon as possible with full details of the accident and damage. No repairs may be put in hand without our consent.
8. A SECURITY DEPOSIT of £150 (day boat) is payable in cash at the time of hire and provided that the boat and its equipment is returned on time, clean and tidy, without loss or damage and the craft has not been involved in any accident, the deposit will be refunded in full within 7 days of return.
9. The boat is INSURED but you are responsible for the first £100 of any claim. This cover does not include personal accident, hirers personal belongings, damage resulting from speeding, lock cills or any malicious, deliberate or alcohol affected act. You are responsible for any costs arising from such incidents. You are responsible for your own personal holiday insurance.
10. The persons in charge of the boat must remain sober whilst navigating. Alcohol limits is defined by the Public Road Traffic Acts.
11. RESTRICTIONS. You should not attempt to tow other craft, cruise after dark or take part in any race. You should navigate with caution at all times observing speed restrictions and relevant bylaws and instructions.
12. CANCELLATIONS. In the event of cancellation by the hirer, if we are able to re-let the boat 75% of the deposit will be refunded, if not there will be no refund.
We reserve the right to cancel any agreement to hire in the event of the river being in flood, mechanical breakdown or for any other reason beyond our control. In which event any deposit paid will be refunded in full and no further liability will be accepted.